Hi all,

A few of us have put together an open letter to Boris Jonhson regarding
his unpaid work scheme, please pass it along to your other officers and
reply to me if you'd like to add your name! it is a response to this
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/work-fulltime-for-no-pay-or-lose-y
our-benefits-says-employment-minister-in-crackdown-on-neets-8084156.html

"We write to you regarding the unpaid work scheme 18-24 year olds have
to do in order to receive their benefits.

With over 1 million 16-24 year olds out of work our young Londoners are
more in need of employment than ever. We are outraged that young people
will be forced into free labour, with substandard employment rights, in
order to be granted their benefits. This proposal is in direct
opposition to your pledge on job creation, as well as the GLA's work on
the Living Wage.

Research from the Department for Work and Pensions clearly indicates
that similar schemes such as workfare are having "zero effect" on
getting people back into employment. If you were genuinely interested in
helping the lives of our young Londoners you would be creating jobs and
paid apprenticeships and putting money back into London schools, youth
centres and community groups. This scheme is yet another attack on the
young and unemployed amidst brutal cuts to education and training
opportunities and would leave young people with little in the way of
employment rights.

In light of these attacks, we further feel the claim that young
Londoners have not contributed to their communities and should therefore
be forced to earn their benefits must be rejected. Work experience,
where it is taken, should always be voluntary, chosen by the jobseeker
and paid at a living wage. Your proposed scheme, as well as similar
'work for welfare' ones run by the DWP, do not do this and shy away from
tackling a job market where there are no jobs for our young people.

As representatives of students in Higher Education we ask you to
reconsider this proposal and instead invest positively in education and
employment, not in an exploitative scheme which stands to benefit not
the community, but the large companies who will benefit from free
labour"

Thanks,

Alex Peters-Day
General Secretary
LSE Students' Union
Kingsley Rooms, East Building
Houghton Street
London WC2A 2AE
+44 (0) 20 7955 7147
+44 (0) 78 4181 6118
www.lsesu.com
<https://exchange.lse.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.lsesu.c
om>

Have your say at the Union General Meeting every Thursday, 1pm, Old
Theatre