Hi Andrew

I think you're referring to the FOI request by Imation and the subsequent lazy reporting which suggested it meant data security was getting worse?

Outlaw reported it well though
http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2012/september/ico-reports-increasing-trend-in-self-reported-data-breaches-in-past-five-years/

Jonathan

On 18 Sep 2012, at 08:40, "Andrew Cormack" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear list
> I'm convinced that I have read recently some figures on the numbers of security breaches notified to the ICO: the vast majority of them being from organisations that were not subject to specific breach notification laws. However I can't now find that reference. Does anyone else remember seeing it and, more importantly, where it was?
>
> I'd like to cite this in responding to the EU's consultation on "a future EU Network and Information Security legislative initiative" [1], which only mentions two possible ways to improve security - expanding mandatory breach notification and requiring certain organisations to "adopt risk management practices". It seems to me there might be several others...
>
> Many thanks
> Andrew
>
> [1] http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/12/818&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en
> --
> Andrew Cormack
> Chief Regulatory Adviser, Janet
> t: +44 1235 822302
> b: https://community.ja.net/blogs/regulatory-developments
> Janet, the UK's research and education network
> www.ja.net
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     All archives of messages are stored permanently and are
>      available to the world wide web community at large at
>      http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/data-protection.html
>     If you wish to leave this list please send the command
>       leave data-protection to [log in to unmask]
> All user commands can be found at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm
> Any queries about sending or receiving messages please send to the list owner
>  Full help Desk - please email [log in to unmask] describing your needs
>        To receive these emails in HTML format send the command:
>         SET data-protection HTML to [log in to unmask]
>   (all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please)

Buckinghamshire County Council
Visit our Web Site : http://www.buckscc.gov.uk
Buckinghamshire County Council Email Disclaimer

This Email, and any attachments, may contain Protected or Restricted information and is intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed.  It may contain sensitive or protectively marked material and should be handled accordingly.  If this Email has been misdirected, please notify the author or [log in to unmask] immediately.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on any of the information contained in it or attached, and all copies must be deleted immediately.  Whilst we take reasonable steps to try to identify any software viruses, any attachments to this Email may nevertheless contain viruses which our anti-virus software has failed to identify.  You should therefore carry out your own anti-virus checks before opening any documents.

Buckinghamshire County Council will not accept any liability for damage caused by computer viruses emanating from any attachment or other document supplied with this email.

All GCSx traffic may be subject to recording and / or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Buckinghamshire County Council unless explicitly stated.

This footnote also confirms that this email has been swept for content and for the presence of computer viruses.