The LA can only use the Section 71 notice for the acquisition of a name and address.  Only the Agency can use it to obtain other information

This is an extract from the EA’s guidance on powers in relation to fly tipping: -

1.4 Notice to require information, Section 71

Both the EA and Local Authorities can use S71 notices for the purpose of the

Control of Pollution Amendment Act, to require anyone they consider may be able

to provide them with the name and address of the person using the vehicle at the

time when the offence was committed1

Local Authorities cannot use Section 71 notices for any other purpose whereas the

Agency can use Section 71 notices to obtain any information it reasonable

considers it requires.