Hi all, wonder if anyone can help?

We've received a request from a Coroner for the records of a deceased person, and whilst our understanding is that Coroners are entitled to this information as part of their investigations, we can't find any guidance or legislation which actually states their entitlement.

We've queried this with the Coroner direct, who stated that they were entitled to request the information, and that we must provide it, but were unable to refer to anything which stated this?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but we've not dealt with this kind of request before and would like to have some guidance to advise staff why we can release?

Thanks a lot
Catherine

Catherine Hanley
Data Protection Officer
Middlesbrough Council Members' Office
PO Box 503
Town Hall
Middlesbrough
TS1 9FX (for directions please use TS1 2RT)
01642 729686

Any opinions or statements expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not necessarily those of Middlesbrough Council. Internet communications are not secure and therefore Middlesbrough Council does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network. If you suspect the message may have been intercepted or amended, please call the sender.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may be legally privileged, and are solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you receive this in error, please do not disclose any information to anyone and notify the sender at the above address. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted, in reliance on the contents, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Middlesbrough Council's computer systems and communications may be monitored to ensure effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes.

Save energy, money and the environment - is it really necessary to print this message?

** This email has been scanned for viruses, vandals and malicious content. **

All user commands can be found at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm and are sent in the body of an otherwise blank email to [log in to unmask]