Dear all,

I was asked to forward the following event to the list.

The Business and Industrial Section of the Royal Statistical Society will host a half-day event, on the 28th of November, on Statistical challenges in finance and in particular in hedge funds. The half-day event will include three invited presentations and it will be held at the RSS Headquarters at Errol Street, London. The talks are scheduled at 15:00 to 17:30 hours with a coffee break and discussion afterwards.

Below you can find speakers, titles and abstracts of the talks. For registration, please send an email to [log in to unmask].

28th November, 15:00-17:30, RSS Headquarters, London
Quantitative methods in hedge funds: statistical contributions and challenges

Carol Alexander (University of Sussex)
VIX Futures and their Exchange-Traded Notes

This talk addresses the trading, hedging and performance characteristics of VIX futures and their exchange-traded notes (ETNs). Do these products really provide a unique source of diversification for long equity investors? What features of the VIX futures term structure contribute to the high negative roll-yield and how can we best structure ETNs that take advantage of the term-structure convexity? What are the hidden risks from hedging an issue of ETNs? Can technical rules be successfully applied to forecast VIX futures prices, or is any perceived out-performance due to data-snooping bias?

Gunnar Klinkhammer (Man Group)
Managing money at a 'quant' fund is a bold application of statistics: a practitioner's perspective

Systematic trading has become a widely recognized style of managing money. Its applications range from medium-term trend following across global markets to high-frequency ‘algorithmic’ market making in stocks.  Systematic trading relies on persistent features in market behaviour, identified from historical data. But structural shifts do occur, sometimes rapidly. Thus we are faced with the fundamental challenges of model validation, variance/bias trade-off, and breakpoint identification. Drawing on my experience in working with one of the largest systematic fund managers, I will illustrate these challenges.

Kostas Triantafyllopoulos (University of Sheffield)
Algorithmic pairs trading: some recent developments and statistical challenges

The term pairs trading refers to a basic trading strategy: buy low and short-sell high. In the recent years algorithmic pairs trading, which aims to automate statistical decisions relevant to trading without human intervention, has received significant development, in particular in hedge funds and related financial institutions. This talk concerns an introduction to pairs trading from a statisticial point of view. We will highlight some of the challenges of algorithmic pairs trading, in particular regarding to the processing of high dimensional data sets. Throughout the talk we will illustrate that managing uncertainty plays a crucial role for the success of these trading approaches.

SIGNOFF allstat