This issue is at least a decade old. It is one of the 38 symptoms of
"Zeno's Paralysis" and has had at least two entries
in the self-archiving FAQ since before the BOAI version:
http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#2.Authentication

"Any differences between the final, refereed, revised draft
(postprint) and the copy-edited version of record will be minor.
And the foremost thing to keep in mind is that both for the
would-be user whose institution cannot afford subscription
access, and for the author, as well as for research progress
itself, access to the author's final, refereed, revised postprint
is always infinitely preferable to no access at all. To deny
(or foreswear) access altogether unless one can have access
to the publisher's PDF is something that no serious researcher
would ever knowingly do; it is only failure to connect the dots
that keeps researchers from immediately doing the obvious
-- and that is precisely what green open access mandates
from their institutions and funders are needed for.'
http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#23.Version

Authors worry about this needlessly; and of course publishers keep
stoking author worries about this, self-servingly (FUD). But after all
these years I hope most people now know better.

Harnad, Stevan (2006) Opening Access by Overcoming Zeno's Paralysis.
In, Jacobs, N (ed.) Open Access: Key Strategic, Technical and Economic
 Aspects. Chandos.

But after more than a decade, I hope most people