Dear Sadequa and Amy

You raise some interesting points regarding personal integrity. I would be interested to know whether our list users consider it to be our responsibility to advise journal editors if we are aware that researchers are likely to submit a manuscript involving bad science (possibly to the neglect of statistical (or other) advice we have provided). Alternatively, do we leave the investigation entirely to the journal reviewers and editors, even if we are aware this may perpetuate bad practise?

Best wishes

Margaret

>________________________________

ScienceFor
the methods and patterns of junk science exposed, Dr. Ben Goldacre’s book  BAD SCIENCE and his TED talk is excellent. Ben Goldacre's
column from The Guardian is in weblog format. It covers media
misrepresentations of science, with a particular focus on medicine.
Includes a forum.
>National
Institutes of Health   -  U.S.
Department of Health and Human Services
>National
Institute of Environmental Health Sciences

>Research Ethics Timeline (1932-Present)
>by David B. Resnik, J.D., Ph.D.
>http://www.niehs.nih.gov/research/resources/bioethics/timeline/index.cfm
>
>FDA
Warning Letters- Food and Drug Administration
>FDA warning letters are also a good source of
seeing how and where things have gone wrong in the science and medicine
communities and provide an interesting stream of research methodology issues.
>www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/default.htm
>

>Best regards,
>

>Amy Price
>

>From:  Sadequa Shahrook <[log in to unmask]>
>Date:  Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:51 PM
>To:  <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:  Re: Fabrication or falsification of data or research findings
>

>I am speechless reading the number and type of retractions on RETRACTION WATCH! Thanks to everyone for their valuable input in this discussion which is extremely important for all the researchers and specially, for the novice researchers like me. Such blogs would be increasingly helpful to question and re-question researchers whether deliberately or unintentionally, their works have any forms of misconducts! Also, if the number of whistle-blowers increases, the human-kind would benefit the best due to the application of good research ethics.
>

>I would like to share some of my thoughts here, but apologizing in advance for any wrong thoughts/opinions. I had no idea (yet had been doubtful) of such delinquencies made by those senior researchers working for the renowned institutes! Yet, I was doubtful (but surprised seeing the magnitude) because I had been wondering (not anymore) how come some researchers could be publishing so many papers within a short amount of time! Although the evidences blogged on RETRACTION WATCH have mostly been from clinical research, I think other areas such as social science would provide plentiful, if can be disclosed. Probably it is the time to pose the very important question "why such misconducts are happening and mounting up?" Among several plausible causes one of the most influential could be our superiors, in most of the cases, our professors who set up a target of publishing 'X' number of papers in a year on 'Y' journals which are generally with high
 impact factor; a high-stake is also placed before the researchers e.g. 'Z' number of publication could rise their salary up or could give them a promotion. In a situation like this, subordinate researchers particularly, those who usually possess weak-personality, are novice, want to keep up their jobs and are willing to build a smooth career graph, do join in the 'speed-race' of publishing. Here someone might argue that promotion and salary raise are the common forms of motivational aspirations or might question how many publications/year should be a standard practice? These questions would surely require a healthy debates before reaching reasonable conclusions.

>Now... in this 'racing', the proportion of people who are caring about the research ethics or willingly/unwillingly 'overseeing' the wrong-doings as well as the plausible deadly consequences in human health, that is the crucial question. This 'racing' may have significant effect in education industry too - a student could be seriously affected if supervised by a professor with such deadly-ambition. Due to the rush in publishing findings out of students' researches, the natural process of teaching/learning could be ignored/violated resulting most possibly a paper but there would be less probability that student would be able to thoroughly learn his course and to be particular, the research basics which is a time-consuming process. Additionally, students could be bullied by the supervisors (both immediate or professor) throughout the 'speed-race' for 'not being productive enough' to writing up a paper and so might be considered as 'stupid'. Well, we
 know the possible consequences of bullying specially, in young - academic bullying could hinder normal learning ability, could decrease productivity and so forth and beyond all, could destroy students confidence level and with a possible life-time loss. Therefore, academic ethics should also be addressed while addressing the ethics in publishing research. Because those who are now learners are likely to be the future leaders in various research fields. Therefore, if the good ethics need to be applied for the human well-being, then it should start from the root extending to every scope to grasp.