From: DCMI Science and Metadata Community [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Greenberg, Jane
Sent: August 10, 2012 1:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: DC-SAM updates; DC-2012; + our wiki

Greetings DC-SAM (Science and Metadata) community,

Thank you to folks for sharing news and useful links relating to metadata for scientific/research data over the last year.  Although our list traffic is low, the posts remain quite valid and informative; and we believe low traffic is not a bad thing.  We know there’s interest, as DC-SAM membership continues to grow monthly.

A few brief updates follow here:

- Welcome Chelcie Rowell.  Please join me in welcoming Chelcie as the new DC-SAM intern/document manager.  Chelcie is a MSLS Candidate 2013, UNC-Chapel Hill, and a member of the SILS Metadata Research Center.  She is also President, Information & Library Science Student Association (ILSSA) Graduate Assistant, North Carolina Digital Heritage Center.  Her research interest focus in the area of metadata, digital preservation, and policy development.

- Thank you to Craig Willis.  We send a thank you and good wishes to Craig Willis, who graduated with his MSLS from UNC this past spring, and is off to UIUC for a Ph.D., and still a community member.

- DC-2012.  (Jian, Alex and I) are interested to know if folks on this list are attending Dublin Core 2012: Metadata for Meeting Global Challenges, 3 through 7, Sept. in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia!  See:  http://dcevents.dublincore.org/index.php/IntConf/dc-2012/. If there’s a good cluster of DC-SAM folks attending perhaps people gather for a topical discussion or hold a "meet up" for a group dinner.  Jian Qin will be putting out a call as the DC-SAM co-leader attending DC-2012.

- NISO/DCMI Webinar: Metadata for Managing Scientific Research Data (http://www.niso.org/news/events/2012/dcmi/scientific_data/).  Folks on this list may be interested in this NISO/DCMI Webinar on 22 Aug. 2012; 1:00 - 2:30 p.m. (Eastern Time).  Registration is still open.

- Community members (who-are-we). DC-SAM membership continues to grow monthly and remains one of the largest DCMI communities.  Members include  metadata/informatics/computer science and engineering folks; people engaged in scholarly communications and digital libraries more generally; publishers; and scientists in a range of disciplines—primarily, although not exclusively, the natural sciences.

Membership is free, and DC-SAM is simply an open forum for the exchanging ideas, sharing news, etc.  About 1/4th of the members have listed their names and affiliation at:  http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/DCMI_Science_and_Metadata_MembersPlease consider listing your name, or let us know of any corrections.  You can email Chelcie for this: chelcie at live dot unc dot edu. (We’ve had to move to this small-gate-keeping for member listing b/c the previous open listing/wiki was spammed.)

We are considering opportunities to propose a SAM-related workshop for the coming year,  and will keep folks posted.

Please continue to share news of events, activities, and developments on this list.

Thank you to all – from the community co-leaders, Jane, Alex, and Jian

Jane Greenberg, Professor and

Director of the Metadata Research Center <MRC>

School of Information and Library Science

<MRC>  http://ils.unc.edu/mrc

(+1-919-962-8066)