Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:11:06 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] Roman dog burials
To: [log in to unmask]

There are quite a few dogs interred at Roman Silchester (UK) and Michael MacKinnon has written about Roman dogs as well. I focus primarily on dog burials in prehistory so my examples are biased towards that period.

Big Dog and Poor Man, Mortuary Practices in Mesolithic Societies in Southern Sweden (L. Larsson 1989)
A Piece of the Mesolithic, Horizontal stratigraphy and body manipulations at Skateholm (F. Fahlander 2008)
Dogs in Graves - a question of symbolism? (A. Gräslund 2004)

In sickness and in health: care for an arthritic Maltese dog from the Roman cemetery of Yasmina, Carthage, Tunisia (M. MacKinnon 2006)
Recent excavations of a cemetery of Londinium (B. Barber et al 1990)
Guides, guards, and gifts to the gods: domesticated dogs in the art and archaeology of Iron Age and Roman Britain (K. Smith 2006)

Lombards on the Middle Danube: a new Migration Period cemetery in Bratislava-Rusovce, Slokavia (Schmidtova et al 2009) (Antiquity online project gallery)

There are also many dogs interred with or near humans in early Holocene shell middens from all around the world, particularly in Japan and the US. Dogs tend to be much more commonly found in cemeteries co-buried with humans. If you want specific examples feel free to contact me off-list.

Cheers,
Angela

Angela Perri
PhD Researcher