On 23 Jul 2012, at 23:15, Jon Ippolito wrote:

> You want approval from a curator or collector with a keen eye, not just some neighbor or YouTube commenter.

Jon’s post really made me think. What audience do we really want to reach out to? The question when it come to selling is maybe not so much "how do I make an work that is suitable for the marked?” , but rather: who do I want to sell to, and what kind of experience do I want the audience/collector to have?

I think the context of a piece is very relevant. I ones did an experiment with a group of students were I asked them to imagine their work in different (art historical) contexts, and it was very interesting to see how the meaning, and even the quality of the work shifted accordingly.

Esther