I think that you may find the answer to your query in J Burchardt, The Allotment Movement in England, 1793 to 1873 (Boydell, Woodbridge, 2002)

Michael Holland

In a message dated 19/07/2012 12:41:42 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
I've recently catalogued a map showing leasehold land in Harborne (then
Staffordshire)  in 1827, with land parcel areas shown in roods and quarter
roods. The anonymous surveyor has added the note "The land is cast up in
potato roods of 64 square yards". I haven't been able to find any other
reference to "potato roods". Has anyone else experienced them?

Richard Abbott

Archives and Heritage
Central Library
Chamberlain Square
Birmingham
B3  3HQ

tel         0121 303 4549
fax        0121 464 1176
e-mail   [log in to unmask]

The information contained within this e-mail (and any attachment) sent by Birmingham City Council is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the named recipient or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies and notify the sender immediately. Unauthorised access, use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted and may be unlawful. Any e-mail including its content may be monitored and used by Birmingham City Council for reasons of security and for monitoring internal compliance with the office policy on staff use. E-mail blocking software may also be used. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the originator and do not necessarily represent those of Birmingham City Council. We cannot guarantee that this message or any attachment is virus free or has not been intercepted and amended.