From: Discussion List for RFID in Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Vicki Gore
Sent: 18 July 2012 14:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: RFID tagging

Hi Ian,

We had Library Outsourcing tag our items as we had 6 smaller libraries but a large central one and not enough time or staff to do it ourselves.  I’ve attached our directions to staff from Library Outsourcing – as we stagger the tags which mean they hopefully are read easier than the traditional vertical strip up the spine which other libraries use.  I’ve found that tags in that orientation often are not read well.

To tag them you’ll need a barcode reader, a tag pad (which usually is a pad and a box which links to the software via USB), and a computer with the tag software installed.  Your RFID vendor should be able to get you a few of these before you close so you can begin on the tagging as we got I think it was 6 or 7 of them.  Library Outsourcing had special tables/carts to cope with this and they were fast at tagging our books – about 6 weeks in all for over 250k or so items (this included our stack items).

If we had stack items that didn’t conform to our current barcode that couldn’t be used with our LMS then we used a set of four barcodes that were attached to the tag.  In our LMS we attached these four barcodes to a new Bib record that was made REF so it couldn’t be issued via RFID and staff at the counter should attach it to the correct bib record and issue the item.  When it’s returned (there’s a note on it so this flags it in the LMS) it will come back to a team member who will then ensure that the item is on correct record, etc. just in case staff just issue it without attaching to correct record before.

Kind regards,

Vicki

Vicki Gore, BSc Tech (Hons) – ICT System Support Manager – Southend-on-Sea Borough Council

Creating a Better Southend

( 01702 534117 (Direct) 07825 754926 (Mobile) | * [log in to unmask] |8 http://www.southend.gov.uk/libraries

Adult & Community Services – Culture - Libraries l Southend-on-Sea Borough Council - Libraries | Southend Central Library, Victoria Avenue, Southend-on-Sea, SS2 6EX