Hi Annette

Have you seen the Cultural Learning Alliance Key Research Findings publication http://www.culturallearningalliance.org.uk/page.aspx?p=93

Key findings are:
  1. Learning through arts and culture improves attainment in all subjects
  2. Participation in structured arts activities increases cognitive abilities
  3. Students from low income families who take part in arts activities at school are three times more likely to get a degree
  4. Employability of students who study arts subjects is higher and they are more likely to stay in employment
  5. Students who engage in the arts at school are twice as likely to volunteer and are 20% more likely to vote as young adults
The publication is a result of a trawl through every report I could find on the benefits of arts and heritage, with links to each of the reports cited.  I only included studies with large samples and/or control groups so the evidence included is very solid, and it was signed off by the DCMS CASE review team.

What the high bar on inclusion does mean is that there is very little specifically on heritage or museums, as most of those studies where too small or not controlled. One report that does mention museums is this: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/working-papers/iser/2003-12.pdf which used the 1970 British cohort study and showed 16 year olds who reported visiting museums, as part of a list of arts and cultural activities, earned more than their counterparts at age 29 and were more likely to have a degree.

Happy to carry on talking about evidence on or off the list - there is lots more to say!

Best wishes
Sam

Samantha Cairns
Cultural Learning Alliance
www.culturallearningalliance.org.uk

Please note that I work part time at the CLA and may take a few days to respond to your message

The Cultural Learning Alliance (CLA) is a collective voice working to ensure that all children and young people have meaningful access to culture in this difficult economic climate.

Sign up today to get involved: http://www.culturallearningalliance.org.uk/sign-up

Follow us on Twitter: @culturelearning
Follow us on Facebook at the Cultural Learning Alliance page
Join the Cultural Learning Alliance professional network at LinkedIn