If the samples were related, it's not the distribution of the
variables that matter, but the distribution of the differences.

If your sample is large enough, the tests are pretty robust to this
anyway.  (I don't like Wilcoxon / Mann-Whitney tests, because of the
difficulty interpreting them so I avoid whenever possible).

Jeremy