This could be your resaon for coming to Edinburgh for OR12 / Repository Fringe this year...
(More on repository fringe here: http://www.repositoryfringe.org/ )

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [sword-app-tech] (no subject)
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 19:59:57 +0200
From: Kathi Fletcher <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

For those of you attending OR12, I would love to have you join our "working" workshop on using SWORD to deposit to both an OER repository and an institutional repository at the same time. Register for the workshop. The workshop is free for attendees and it will be Monday, July 9th. Since we will be working to extend an existing SWORD client that deposits to Connexions (cnx.oerpub.org) so that it will also optionally deposit to an insitutional dspace repo (and eprints if we have folks to drive that effort).

OER: Workshop: Multi-repository Deposit to OER and IR at the Same Time

OERPub is a new API for publishing OER (Open Education Resources) that was adapted lightly from SWORD V2. The purpose for the OERPub API is to enable an ecosystem of tools and services that support transforming, remixing, adapting, and translating OER.

Features were added to SWORD to specialize it for OER and it has been implemented in Connexions (an open repository). We have also created a client that transforms content in general purposes formats like Word, Open Office, HTML, and Google Docs into semantic formats and then uses the API to publish the resulting content. When institutional authors submit scholarly works such as textbooks, conference proceedings, or journal articles to Connexions, they often need to archive the materials within their institutional arrchives (DSpace Fedora, Eprints).

In this workshop we will extend the OERPub client to optionally deposit to DSpace institutional archives using SWORD V2 at the same time as the materials are being published in Connexions. The first part of the workshop will be spent on design discussion, and then we will extend the client to deposit to both Connexions and DSpace. If participants are interested in EPrints or Fedora, we will pursue prototype implementations for those also. Attendees should be familiar with SWORD for publishing and an institutional repository. Since we will be actively extending existing software, software development skills or user experience skills will be priority for attendees.

Presenters: Kathi Fletcher (Shuttleworth Foundation Fellow), Marvin Reimer (TU Braunschweig), Ying Jin (Rice University – Center for Digital Scholarship)

Register for the workshop

--
Kathi Fletcher
Email: [log in to unmask]