From: healthconferences
Sent: 08 June 2012 14:43:23 (UTC) Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London
To: healthconferences
Subject: Authenticity to Action Conference

You and your colleagues may be interested in the following conference:
Authenticity to Action
‘Rhetoric or Reality’
Service User and Carer Involvement in ‘Hard Times’

One Day Conference

Wednesday 7th November 2012
Westleigh Conference Centre
Lea Rd, Preston PR4 0RB

We are pleased to invite you to the 4th Authenticity to Action Conference, an exciting one day conference focused on the involvement of health and social care service users and carers in higher education. The theme of the conference is to explore the possible ramifications the recession and the ever changing educational culture has on the authenticity and scope of service user and carer involvement within higher education.

CONFERENCE THEMES

A number of key issues will be addressed, including:

 *   How can we successfully thrive in the current climate
 *   Drivers and barriers to user/carer involvement
 *   Making sense of involvement in the current climate
 *   Impact and outcome: who benefits
 *   The value of involvement
 *   Rhetoric or reality
 *   Networking, partnerships and shared practice
 *   Policy into practice

DIFFERENT FORMATS

Conference presentations have been organised in a number of different formats to enable as many people as possible to become actively involved in debates, questions and interaction. Different types of presentation will include:

SHOWCASES – sessions that present the work of specific service user and carer involvement initiatives within Higher Education Institutions, health and social care practice and the voluntary sector. The emphasis will be on the practice of user and carer involvement its impact and outcomes. These sessions will be of 60 minutes duration and might involve a number of short stories that offer the experiences of project participants from various perspectives (e.g. users, carers, academic staff, researchers, students). Group discussion will be encouraged to explore, with presenters, possible solutions to key problems identified or discussion of strategy. The emphasis will be upon sharing experiences and learning from each other.

PAPERS – these sessions will typically involve presentation of studies of user and carer involvement in Higher Education. There will also be theoretical papers which present critical thinking in relation to key conference themes. These sessions will be of 30 minute duration, with time for audience questions. Paper sessions have been organised in groups of two that share common themes or address similar issues.

WORKSHOPS – these sessions will maximise audience participation. Alternately, they may focus upon key problems, opportunities or challenges within the field and attempt to draw out audience contributions to addressing these issues. These sessions will be 60 minutes in length.

The conference includes contributions and participation from all stakeholders:

 *   Service users and carers
 *   Academics
 *   Students

The conference is supported by the work of Comensus.  For more information visit the projects web site at www.uclan.ac.uk/comensus<http://www.uclan.ac.uk/comensus>

We aim to make the whole conference as interactive as possible and accessible to all participants. Participants have been encouraged to present their work and facilitate sessions in plain language.

MAKING THE MOST OF THE CONFERENCE

We wish the conference to truly engage and involve all the stakeholder groups. For this reason we do not want anybody to be excluded from making a contribution. If you don’t have a paper to present, why not think about facilitating a workshop to showcase relevant experiences. We encourage all participants to present their work in an accessible, jargon-free format. We are particularly keen that novice conference attendees are able to participate fully in the proceedings. We welcome presentations and workshops that are led by service users and carers.

ABSTRACTS

Abstracts of between 300-500 words are required.  Abstracts should be submitted by email to Liz Roberts at the following email address [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and include a main contact name, email address and contact telephone number, along with organisation and any co-authors names.  The subject line of the email should clearly state Authenticity to Action Conference.  All abstracts will be reviewed by the conference committee.
Deadline for abstract submissions – Friday 29th June 2012

CONFERENCE FEE

All presenters and attendees are expected to register and pay for a place at the conference (unless granted a bursary place).

Full Conference Package
•  Attendance including lunch and refreshments for the day:
      Cost £150 plus VAT = £180

REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT

To book a place at the conference, each attendee is required to complete the online registration form which can be found on the following website
http://www.uclan.ac.uk/information/services/fm/services/conferences/uclan/authenticity_to_action_registration.php payment may be made online by credit card, by cheque or for UK delegates, we can arrange for an invoice to be sent upon receipt of a purchase order.  Receipts will be issued within twenty-eight days after the conference.   We do not accept or action emails or telephone calls asking for letters of invitation.
Full terms and conditions are on the website www.uclan.ac.uk/healthconf<http://www.uclan.ac.uk/healthconf>

SUPPORT NEEDS

To help us better organise the conference and allocate rooms for presentations we ask that participants let us know early on if they have any particular needs that might affect their full participation in the conference. It would also help if people can indicate their choices of concurrent sessions as early as possible following registration. We will send you a form for this purpose. We anticipate that most conference participants will attend in groups of colleagues and friends, and we encourage everyone to make the most of the opportunity to meet up with others at the conference. If anyone is coming along on their own and might need a buddy to help get involved in the proceedings please let us know and we can arrange this from within our team.

BURSARIES

Individual service users, carers and students who might have difficulty affording the conference fees can apply for a bursary to defray these costs.  There are a limited number of bursaries available and these bursaries will not necessarily cover additional costs, such as travel and accommodation.  To allow us to most fairly allocate the available bursaries we ask that anyone making an application for a bursary spend a little time completing the relevant form, which can be found on the following website www.uclan.ac.uk/healthconf<http://www.uclan.ac.uk/healthconf>, or by contacting Liz Roberts [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> tel 01772 893809.

We can offer support to complete the form.
For more information about completing the bursary form, please contact Lisa Malihi-Shoja
Tel: 01772 893818 E-mail [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Deadline for bursary applications – Friday 20th July 2012

For further details about the conference please contact
Liz Roberts - email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Telephone 01772 893809

University of Cumbria is a Company Limited by Guarantee, Registered in England & Wales No. 06033238. Registered Office: University of Cumbria, Fusehill Street, Carlisle, CA1 2HH. Telephone 01228 616234.

Confidentiality: This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email and highlight the error.

Security Warning: Please note that this email has been created in the knowledge that Internet email is not a 100% secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when emailing us.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.