Hi Dominic

Thanks for forwaring Anne Haase's email. The way the media reports on
research like this, often just pulling stuff out of a press release rather
than reading the papers, is a real worry.

Like you, I have found exercise beneficial in my own recovery. But I had to
figure it out for myself - the advice I got from various doctors has not
been helpful at all as it was very simplistic and focused on weight loss
above all else.

As Anne says

Although there was no effect on reducing depressive symptoms, we did show a
> increase in physical activity which was maintained - an uncommon finding.
> The facilitators worked with patients to promote increase and uptake in ANY
> form of activity - whatever the patient believed they could successfully
> achieve.  Our facilitation was based on self-determination theory promoting
> development of confidence in engaging in activity, supporting and promoting
> the patients' preferences and own choices (autonomy) and development of
> relatedness (social networks, support etc).

I've found my own way to sustainable and enjoyable exerise - walking over
10,000 steps a day and swimming three times a week in the sea. Through the
swimming, I have met many people - it is better swimming with others for
safety. The fun and challenge and low pressure social contact have been
great.

Like the people in this research, I still have symptoms, such as anxiety,
paranoia, and lethargy. And I am just as fat/obese as ever. But life is a
lot better and recovery is, or should be, about living a good life, in the
absence or presence of symptoms.

Anne