** cross-posted **

Thierry Chanier is very right to express his concern about publisher
control over Heloise, the French counterpart of the SHERPA/Romeo directory
of publisher policies on author Open Access (OA) self-archiving.

The fundamental function of such an OA policy directory is to inform
authors about whether or not a journal to which they are contemplating
submitting a paper has given its green light to make their peer-reviewed
final draft OA immediately upon deposit -- or, if not, the length of the
journal's embargo on making the deposit OA.

Some supplemental information may be useful too (e.g., publisher OA policy
on the unrefereed preprint or the publisher's PDF, locus of deposit --
institutional or institution-external -- and further re-use rights).

But the primary purpose of such a directory is to inform authors on whether
and when they have a given journal's green light to make a peer-reviewed
deposit OA. This is what needs to be foregrounded and made crystal clear.

Heloise instead seems to be a portal for publishers to dictate practice to
authors on a variety of matters. This is likely to confuse rather than
clarify matters for authors on the one paramount question on which they
need a clear, straightforward answer.

It is fine for publishers to provide the requisite parametric information
for Heloise (the directory is, after all, meant to inform authors about
publisher OA policy), but very far from fine for Heloise to be placed at
publishers' disposal to formulate or dictate practice to authors.

Thierry is quite right to ask that Heloise be put under the control of a
committee composed exclusively of researchers and academics. Publishers can
provide the data, as they do for SHERPA/Romeo, and then Heloise can present
the data according to the parameters needed by authors who want to know
whether and when they have the journal's green light to make what OA, where.

I suggest that the coding be a dark green tick for those publishers or
journals that give their green light to immediate OA. (A pale green tick
could, optionally, indicate that the publisher or journal gives its green
light to immediate OA for unrefereed preprints.) If there is an embargo,
it's length can be stated (with a gray X). If there are condition on locus
of deposit, these could be stated (institutional or non-institutional). And
if there are re-use rights over and above free online access, those too can
be stated.

Any further publisher recommendations should be consigned to an appendix or
as links to the publisher's website.

The research community can never remind itself too often what it repeatedly
seems to forget: Peer-reviewed journal publishing is a service industry. It
is performing a service to the research community (for which it is paid,
abundantly, via subscriptions). Research is not funded by the public, nor
conducted and published by researchers as a service to the publishing
industry.

Researchers give their papers to publishers for free, and peer-reviewers
(also researchers) give their refereeing services to publishers for free,
in exchange for maximal access to their work. OA provides maximal access.
If publishers are trying to put constraints on authors providing OA, this
should be made crystal clear in Heloise, so the authors can then make
informed choices.

Stevan Harnad