Hi Tom,

Did you listen to the Reith Lecture, this morning?  Institutions are not
making an appropriate contract between generations.  Nowhere is this
more true than on climate, where the institutions like the Hadley Centre
seem happy to ignore Arctic sea ice volume crash, which is going to
require future generations to try and sort out the mess - even though it
will almost certainly be too late - especially if Arctic methane
escalates sufficient for runaway global warming.  One only needs release
of about 1% of methane stored under the seabed to get the feedback
going.  It's a very scary situation.  The scientific community is
burying its collective head in the sand.

But anarchy is not the solution.  We just need an honest look at the
situation from the scientific advisers to government - followed by rapid
engineering to cool the Arctic, deal with methane, remove CO2 to prevent
ocean acidification, protect the Amazon rainforest, etc.

The NGOs like Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth should actually
support and welcome some actions where they could see rapid results and
feel that they had achieved something!  The continuous hammering against
the brick wall of corporate fossil-fuel interests with no results in
sight must be most frustrating.  Getting NGOs on side would be a most
positive thing for the future of the planet.  Can you help?

Cheers,

John

---