I am posting this on behalf of Dr Stephen Jolles, Consultant Immunologist at UHW Cardiff.

Dear Dr Chakraborty,

Many thanks for your query which has been passed to me as we have some ongoing projects on calculated globulin and it’s potential utility as a screen for antibody deficiency. We have found using the BCG method at a cut off of 18g/l that 89% of samples had an IgG of less tha 6g/l. We are currently working on the cut off for the BCP method. We found a number of causes of low CG including recent surgery, iv fluids in hospital and ITU etc as well as a range of causes of secondary antibody deficiency and some primary antibody deficiency. In addition we found approximately 2% had new small paraproteins with immunoparesis. We are currently looking at the possible introduction of an automated comment for GP samples with CG <18g/l on the BCG method ‘Low calculated globulin – may represent antibody deficiency. Consider immunoglobulins if there is a history of infection.’

Hope this is helpful with best wishes

Stephen

_________________________________
Dr Stephen Jolles
Consultant Clinical Immunologist

Department of Immunology
University Hospital of Wales
Heath Park
Cardiff
CF14 4XW
Tel : 029 2074 5814
Fax: 029 2074 8383

www.immunology.wales.nhs.uk
_________________________________

Cymraeg

Rhybudd Ebost (2010) - Bwrdd Iechyd Prifysgol Betsi Cadwaladr

Fe'ch cynghorir i ddarllen rhybydd ebost Bwrdd Iechyd Prifysgol Betsi Cadwaladr (a'i argraffu er mwyn cyfeirio ato yn y dyfodol).  Gellir dod o hyd iddo yn y lleoliad canlynol

http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/861/tudalen/47230

English

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board - Email Notice (2010)

You are advised to read (and print for future reference) the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board e-mail notice which can be found at this location

http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/861/page/47229

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board is the operational name of Betsi Cadwaladr University Local Health Board

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/