I agree with Chris.  Bowhead baleen is **usually** pretty dark brown/black
when fresh or it’s been preserved in stabile permafrost.  However, that
brown color is very typical for bowhead baleen that has been weathered a
bit.  I’ve seen many pieces that on size alone can be identified as bowhead
(they have much longer baleen than any other whale) that are that color.
FYI, bowheads can also have very light grey/white streaks in the baleen of
several plates, or even a white plate or two.  Biologists don’t know why.
Northern rights also are supposed to have dark baleen like bowheads, and
could have been encountered in your area.  A couple of the rorquals also
have dark baleen.  Grey whales have what I’d call white or ivory baleen,
and I doubt it would get this dark.

*Anne M. Jensen, PhD, RPA***

PI, Nuvuk Archaeology Project

General Manager/Senior Scientist

UIC Science, LLC

Box 577

Barrow, AK
99723

907-852-0924 (office and messages), 907-852-0931 (Nuvuk Lab), 907-852-5763
(fax), 907-230-8228 (cell), ajatnuvuk (Skype)

Replies to:  [log in to unmask]