Hello,

We're looking at options to replace/compliment an ailing analogue
telephony service in our hall of residence, one of which is to offer a
SIP service over the RESNET WiFi network (eduroam/802.1x); allowing
students to use their smartphones, laptops etc (with a SIP clients
installed) to communicate.

Has anyone done anything like this?

We have done a small amount of testing using Asterisk and our main
exchange's SIP server, but initial results are reasonably disheartening
from the point of view of delay and dropouts as clients roam between
APs, but maybe there's some tweaking we need to do of either the
wireless (Cisco WiSM) or SIP server to help mitigate these issues?
Or maybe it's simply a non-starter?

Many thanks,
Jezz.

Jezz Palmer