excellent proposal, Rowdy,
but we should also fight for the right or chance to wind down therapeutic communities from what they typically are today to their true basics. I do not mean that we have to return to the TCs of the pioneering days in the 1960s and 1970s, but to a development of modern TCs that contain all the effective elements as we know them today but consequently stick to cost-effectiveness. If we compare David Kerr´s "Ten Competencies of the Therapeutic Community (TC)" that you sent around last week, especially competence 3 & 4, with the reality in many present-day therapeutic communities, we can see why TCs appear so expensive.

Addiction treatment & rehabilitation in Germany is usually financed by social insurance and social welfare, while health insurance pays for detoxification. The social insurance institutions put very high demands on the staff composition of a "Fachklinik" (specialized residential addiction treatment and rehabilitation centers most of which are convinced they incorporate TC elements). To give you an example of staff composition at a Fachklinik for 100 residents where I worked in Southern Germany: 1 psychiatrist + 2 additional medical doctors, 4 psychological psychotherapists (clinical psychologists)and about the same number of social workers, 3-4 ergotherapists, only one of them a recovering alcohol addict, 2 sport therapists. I may have ommitted one or two more professionals apart from administrative staff. Hard to avoid TC counter-productive dynamics with so many professionals.
The cost of TCs in Scandinavia has traditionally even been much more expensive than in Germany I believe. I was amazed at the daily rate per resident in Swedish TCs, say 2 decades ago, but within a short period they disappeared one by one. I had always considered Phoenix House Haga a lucky exception in Scandinavia, possibly because of wealthy Norway that still could afford "the luxury of a TC". But obviously this is not the case any more.

Martin Lutterjohann

Hon.Vicepresident EFTC

-------- Original-Nachricht --------