Hi fellow colleagues,

Here’s a poser for you that I have already addressed but would like to see how you, my colleagues would manage it in the hope that we can all learn something from this experience. Obviously the content is heavily sanitised.

Presentation:

Management referral of a professional, erudite individual to Occupational Health. The reasoning of the referral – a personal problem at home of a common nature, and stress in the workplace. Very anxious individual and extremely tearful throughout the first and initial consultation. Reviewed in 4 weeks. Again very tearful regarding home and work circumstances. Provided with confidential counselling over 4 sessions. Remained on sickness absence. Reviewed again during which it was suggested the individual contacts their manager as it is now 12 weeks sickness absence (manager is also close friend) with review in 4 weeks.

Next review, started antidepressant therapy and CPN input. Seeing manager at home visits. Symptoms of agoraphobia, depression and anxiety. Advised to try desensitisation by going out for walks locally with friend or family member. Review in 2 weeks to discuss health, work and activities of daily living.

Review, seen by GP and certificate provided for 16 weeks. Antidepressant therapy reduced. Seeing manager more frequently for coffee in town. Becoming fearful attending OH despite the building not being remotely near the place of work. Reassurance given. Does not understand the role of OH that was explained in detail. Review in 3 weeks following from the return from their holiday abroad to discuss improvement in the individual’s well being and views on returning to work that guidelines may be forwarded to their employer.

Review: self stated improvement in condition following holiday but does not wish any further contact with OH as it is negating the amelioration of the condition.

Question 1 – what happens next?

Question 2 – what are the guidelines regarding the period allowed for the provision of a certificate of sickness absence?

I look forward to your comments

Havbob