Hi All

I was just writing a report  - won't go into the case, but basically woman
referred for frequent short term sickness absence, young daughter with
'disability' and I recalled a case where someone won a claim for
discrimination re dependants disability, was just googling to get my facts
straight for my recommendations and this was one of the sites I came to:

http://www.harbottle.com/hnl/pages/articles/the_equality_act_and_disabled_employees.php

“Employers should be aware of the wider protection against discrimination
employees will now enjoy.

Employees with caring responsibilities for the disabled and elderly already
have rights to request flexible working and to reasonable time off to deal
with emergencies in respect of dependents. In addition to heeding these
rights, to avoid age and/or disability discrimination claims employers must
now ensure that such employees are not treated less favourably because of
their caring responsibilities.

 Employers who may not be aware of their employee’s caring responsibilities
should encourage employees to provide such information from the outset of
employment and ensure that open lines of communication are maintained so
they can keep abreast of the extent of the employee’s caring
responsibilities, which may change over time”

Which begs the question should OH ask about dependants when we ask the '4
questions' at employment, or maybe Recruitment should ask - is it asked at
all?!

Kind regards

Wendy

*Wendy Stimson* RGN RSCPHN (OH)
Director

*AWL Occupational Health Ltd:*
*Occupational Health and Workplace Mediation
*Tel: 01293 532477
Mob: 07814 288642
www.awloh.co.uk

Based in West Sussex
AWL Occupational Health Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 7380521
Registered office:The Meridian, 4 Copthall House, Station Square, Coventry
CV1 2FL

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: