Thanks for sharing

Any information on supporting dyslexia in the workplace is appreciated.

Regards

Janet

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of sharon naylor
Sent: 08 May 2012 07:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] dyslexia

Hi Lean (long time no see) I think I would be very tempted to go for a comprehensive assessment and go from the recommendations within that report. And i would stick with the recognised suppliers of  these eg Dyslexia Org or Dyslexia Action.  All 3 of my kids are dyslexic and how this manifests, and what helps are wildly different in all 3 (eg one reads better with a blue overlay, another with a yellow) One size does certainly not fit all. I have had a recent issue with someone who has set themselves up as a local "expert" and then makes recommendations along the lines of what helps him, and this certainly does not help his "clients". I am also aware of that knowledge on this subject is evolving rapidly, so even if she had an assessment 10 years ago it may be worth repeating it. I think the assessments cost about £500 and in my experience are incredibly detailed with a lot of  practical, cheap advice and they come from someone who really knows what they are talking about.

i have a friend/ex colleague who is dyslexic. was labelled "thick" at school, went to Australia with his family and he ended up in a form of "Borstal" because they said he was disruptive. At 45 he was undoubtedly not thick as could fly a plane, and could look at a wall and "know" how many bricks were in it, but crippling self doubt had rendered him depressed and anxious, and organisational changes that meant he may have to do more paperwork had placed him in a tail spin. Had been "screened" previously, those recommendations being a bit "woolly" to say the least. A "proper" assessment outlined some practical input, and also recommended things like particular spectacles, it also recommended CBT/NLP to diffuse his anxiety. 6 months later he was a changed man, so all in all it cost around £800, which I think was a great investment. Oh and by the way Access to Work were just not interested, as is my experience of them of late.

There are advantages to dyslexia eg creative thought and problem solving, i will try and find an interesting article to post..........