Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 16:25:20 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Vertebra ID?!
To: [log in to unmask]

Hello Jan,

Paolo just beat me to it!  Yes I agree it is the atlas (1st cervical vertebra) of a medium sized cetacean.  It's too big for porpoise, and much too small for baleen whale, so something the size of a pilot whale would be about right.

All the best,

Dave

Dr David M Waterhouse BSc (hons) PGCE MSc
Curator of Natural History
(Acting Curator of Geology)
Norfolk Museums and Archaeology Service
The Shirehall, Market Avenue
Norwich, Norfolk  NR1 3JQ

Telephone: (+44) (0) 1603 495883
Facsimile: (+44) (0) 1603 493623
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

General Secretary of The Geological Society of Norfolk
http://www.norfolkgeology.co.uk/

While officers make every effort to be accurate, Norfolk Museums Service cannot accept responsibility for any opinions expressed on item(s) submitted for examination.
Officers of the Norfolk Museums Service are not permitted to give valuations, or to assist in the disposal of private property or to recommend business firms.