Those with longish memories may recall that MLA published some guidelines
on the provision of "controversial stock" which were founded on exactly
these principles of robust stock policies and the CILIP statement about
lawful publications. I am not sure what has happened to the publication
with the demise of the MLA website but I trust it will have been archived
by either the National Archives or the Arts Council (although Google is
unable to point me towards it so maybe not?). The guidelines were endorsed
by CILIP and I believe used by a number of library services in informing
their own stock policies.

I was involved in the development of the guidelines, which was done in
close collaboration with SCL and CILIP among others. CILIP subsequently
commissioned me to run a series of workshops around the country to
publicise them which many stock managers attended. If anyone is interested,
my presentation for those workshops, which contains the headlines from the
guidance document, is available on Slideshare:
http://www.slideshare.net/toonsarah/guidance-on-the-management-of-controversial-material-in-public-libraries

Sarah

Sarah Wilkie
07944 198812