Hello,

This resourec looks useful from the Health Foundation, esspecially their improvement database here http://www.health.org.uk/areas-of-work/research-scan

also the current awareness service ... see below

Best Wishes

Matt

The Health Foundation's Research Scan service is now available. Every month hundreds of studies are published about improving quality in healthcare. We scan 40,000 journals to pick what we hope are the most relevant so you don't have to.

This email alert provides a few highlights.  Click here <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AZUA0-1/c.aspx>  to view the full research scan and download a pdf.  If you sign up for the monthly Research Scan <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AZUA1-1/c.aspx>  we'll email you highlights at the end of each month.

Patients - changing the relationship with professionals and healthcare systems

*	Offering decision coaching <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMS6-1/c.aspx>  could increase people's involvement in decisions (review; Canada)
*	Running workshops to motivate clinicians <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMS7-1/c.aspx>  can support self care (observational study; England)
*	It saves money to train lay people to provide peer support <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMS8-1/c.aspx>  (observational study; England)

See all studies about changing relationships <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMS9-1/c.aspx>  published in April research scan.

Improving patient safety

*	Running a half day course <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSA-1/c.aspx>  improves professionals' safety skills (before and after study; England)

*	Building a supportive environment <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSB-1/c.aspx>  helps nurses intercept medication errors (survey; US)

*	Using electronic prescribing tools and decision aids reduces errors <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSC-1/c.aspx>  (review; England)

See all studies about patient safety <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSD-1/c.aspx>  published in April research scan.

Organisational development and leadership

*	It is essential to allow enough time <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSE-1/c.aspx>  to plan quality improvement (review; England)
*	Organisations that learn from other groups <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSF-1/c.aspx>  are more likely to improve (observational study; US)
*	Patients think hospitals are consistently good <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AZLEG-1/c.aspx>  or poor across various factors (survey; England)

See all studies about leadership and organisational development <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSH-1/c.aspx>  published in April research scan.

Professionals - clinical engagement, training and professionalism and leadership

*	Online journal clubs <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSI-1/c.aspx>  can help get research into practice (survey; US)

*	One hour of training halved insulin prescription errors <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSK-1/c.aspx>  (before and after study; England)

*	The UK clinical aptitude test increases diversity <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AZLEH-1/c.aspx>  in admissions to medical school (analysis; England)

See all studies about engaging professionals <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSL-1/c.aspx>  published in April research scan.

Productivity and value

*	Continuity of care <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSM-1/c.aspx>  reduces length of stay and costs (before and after study; US)

*	Watchful waiting <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AZLEI-1/c.aspx>  saves money over immediately ordering tests (randomised trial; the Netherlands)

*	Employing fewer doctors and more support staff saves money <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSO-1/c.aspx>  (data analysis; US)

See all studies about productivity <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSP-1/c.aspx>  published in April research scan.

Approaches - methods for measuring improvement and sharing information

*	Clinicians need encouragement <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSQ-1/c.aspx>  to routinely evaluate their services (review; Scotland)

*	Collecting patient feedback <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSR-1/c.aspx>  doesn't automatically improve outcomes (interviews; the Netherlands)

*	Videos can help people decide whether to take part <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AZLEJ-1/c.aspx>  in studies (randomised trial; US)

See all studies about research and measurement approaches <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMSS-1/c.aspx>  published in April research scan.

We consider the Research Scan as an improvement programme in itself, and are continuously looking to improve how the scan is presented and our selection criteria. We welcome any feedback, suggestions or comments on the scan; please contact [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Kind regards

Jonathan Riddell Bamber

Research and Development Manager
The Health Foundation

Forward this email to a colleague > <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-0E6BTHRY96-1/fw.aspx>
To sign up for email updates on particular topics or areas of interest> <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYLU3-1/c.aspx>
You can also follow us on Twitter @HealthFdn > <http://dmtrk.net/t/4Y2-SD5S-6BTHRY-AYMA9-1/c.aspx>

The Health Foundation is an independent charity working to continuously improve the quality of healthcare in the UK.

The Health Foundation
Registered Company Number: 1714937 England
Registered office: 90 Long Acre, London. WC2E 9RA
Registered Charity Number: 286967