Here's a table from BioMed Central comparing article fees
http://www.biomedcentral.com/about/apccomparison/

Monica

On 25 May 2012, at 09:56, Peter Morgan wrote:

Hi Paul,

>Iím now looking into this to work out whether the journal and publisher are credible and the
>fee reasonable [Ö ] and have not until now come across any actual publication fees to compare this with

The RIN report "Heading for the Open Road" (April 2011) estimated (p.9) that the global average cost per article was £2,634 and noted that Outsell had estimated the 2009 weighted average for actual APCs charged as being £1,457.

So an APC of $1,000 is towards the lower end of the spectrum.

Peter

--
Peter Morgan
Head of Medical and Science Libraries