And, of course, where are Hitchin, Baldock, Rickmansworth, and other urban areas in Herts? These don't exist at all in this list except under their District name, because they are are non civil parishes, but are not unitary authorities. If you search for them you will get 'No matches'. If you search under 'North Hertfordshire (Non Civil Parish), North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire' you will get all the entries for both Baldock and Hitchin, and the same goes for others unless the town name is the same as the district name (like Stevenage, Watford, St Albans). But of course the user has to guess that this is the  case.

I have asked why they can't be given their actual names, in the form 'Baldock (Non Civil Parish), North Hertfordshire', but have been told it's too difficult.

On the other hand, it's easy enough to search using the new web mapping, for those of us who have signed up to it.

Isobel

Dr Isobel Thompson

Historic Environment Record

Historic Environment Unit