We may be in the fortunate position of receiving a generous donation from an alumnus who has previously donated 20,000 to purchase assistive technology.

I have been asked to consult and draw up a list of desirable purchases that this university could use in the cause of improving accessibility and the student experience for disabled students.

Please could you reply with any ideas of systems that would help achieve that goal, whether you have just acquired it yourself or it is something on your wish list.

Our thinking is not to go all out and just ask for devices and/or software but to include schemes like setting up a pilot project to use students who are experienced in their use of assistive technology to mentor incoming students who may only have a little or no experience of using something like Inspiration or a screen reader in a higher education course.

We are also thinking of including emerging technology, tablets and apps, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Patrick Adams
Disability and Assistive Technology Advisor
Disability and Learning Support Service
University of Birmingham