Hi Morag

I think you're talking about what many Special Collections & Archives refer to as their 'Rare Books' Collection. If so, I think it's a really good question, which I've been grappling with myself - what criteria can/should one use to determine if a book is, indeed, rare?

Arguably more an issue for Librarians, but I think historically such material has ended up in archives purely because it's deemed to be the safest place to store library material which may be of considerable financial value and cannot sit on the open shelves.

Please could anyone who (unlike me!) can give a helpful response to Morag's question please post their response to the general list (otherwise could you post a summary here Morag please?)

Thanks
Emma

--- On Wed, 5/30/12, Fyfe, Morag <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

*apologies for cross posting*

To anyone who works in a University Special Collections and Archives who has to deal with books!

We are  planning on undertaking some weeding of our Special Collections books this summer and in doing so are hoping to come up with some criteria for what we do and do not keep in Special Collections in future.  There doesn’t seem to have
 been much of a strategy here in the past, aside from the book collections that are related to our archive collections.

Having not really had to deal with books before, I was wondering if anyone else has criteria or policies for books that they keep in their Special Collections that they wouldn’t mind sharing with me so I have somewhere to start from?

Thanks (hopefully!)

Morag.

Morag Fyfe

Research & Learner Support Officer (Special Collections and Archives)

Library and Student Support

Liverpool John Moores Univeristy

Important Notice: the information in this email and any attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to an intended
 recipient, you should delete it from your system immediately without disclosing its contents elsewhere and advise the sender by returning the email or by telephoning a number contained in the body of the email. No responsibility is accepted for loss or damage
 arising from viruses or changes made to this message after it was sent. The views contained in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Liverpool John Moores University.