The National Portrait Gallery Archive has an opportunity for a volunteer, initially on a three-month fixed-term basis, with options for further projects thereafter. We require a motivated individual to help the department maintain and develop its extensive series of research notes files, which form part of the Gallery's Records. The work will involve processing and filing documents into sequences arranged by artist, sitter and collection. These files are used by both staff and visitors to the Archive, and are subject to constant expansion and refinement. Volunteer work will therefore involve ongoing maintenance of the files, ordering of their contents and re-housing of material as required. Appropriate materials and on the job training will be provided by Archive staff.

The role will also provide basic cataloguing experience as the volunteer will complete file level entries to agreed standards using our Calm for Archives system. We therefore seek applicants with a definite interest in archive work, who would enjoy working with materials relating to British portraiture and history as part of a small team.

We welcome applications from volunteers able to commit to one day each working week for three months in the first instance, with options to continue.

We regret that the Gallery cannot reimburse volunteers’ travel expenses, but those that commit to the three-month working period will be issued with a Gallery photo pass, which entitles volunteers to staff discounts in the Gallery’s gift shop, bookshop and cafes, as well as free entry to Gallery exhibitions and displays at many other national museums and galleries.

If you would like to be considered for this position, please submit a CV and covering letter explaining why you are interested in working with archives, either by email or post, by Friday 1st June.

If potential volunteers have any questions regarding the role, please contact me directly off-list.

Bryony Millan
Archivist
National Portrait Gallery  St Martin's Place  London WC2H OHE
Direct T 020 7321 6606  F 020 7321 0056 www.npg.org.uk