Along similar lines. I attended an excellent presentation by Dame Fiona Caldicott last week at In4matics for health in Birmingham. She mentioned that there are discussions ongoing as to whether primary care patients should have access to their blood results before they were sent to their corresponding GP’s

And we cant even get the funding to electronically link to a lab 30 miles up the road.

Food for thought

BW John

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gareth Jones
Sent: 18 May 2012 08:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Patient direct access to results

Two stories on e-health insider in the last couple of days about roll-out of 'patient portals':
At QEB http://www.ehi.co.uk/news/ehi/7747/summer-roll-out-for-myhealth@qehb
And the maudsely http://www.ehi.co.uk/news/EHI/7745/maudsley-launches-healthvault-based-phr

Has anyone from the respective labs that serve these hospitals had any involvement?
Surely there's a role for some patient-directed interpretative comments somewhere?

Gareth

Gareth Llewelyn ap Huw Jones
Principal Clinical Scientist
Clinical Biochemistry UCLH
3rd Floor, 60 Whitfield Street
London W1T 4EU

(e) [log in to unmask]
(t) 0203 447 2972 or x72972
(f) 0203 447 9584
www.uclh.nhs.uk/biochemistry

This email is confidential and is intended solely for the person or
entity to whom it is addressed.  If this is not you, please forward the
message to [log in to unmask]  We have scanned this email
before sending it, but cannot guarantee that malicious software is
absent and we shall carry no liability in this regard.

We advise that information intended to be kept confidential should not
be sent by email.  We also advise that health concerns should be
discussed with a medical professional in person or by telephone.
NHS Direct can also provide advice.  We shall not be liable for any
failure to follow this advice. University College London Hospitals NHS
Foundation Trust (UCLH).
------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

Thank you for your co-operation.