If you are doing any community based software development you've probably heard of Git for those that haven't it's basically a tool/method for creating and sharing different versions of code.

I've come across a couple of examples recently where Git is being used outside of software development, sharing files instead of code, mainly around art projects. I've also found a new syllabus sharing service based on Git called ClassConnect. Still an emerging area but might be worth considering if you are thinking about alternative models for repositories.

Links and more information here http://mashe.hawksey.info/2012/03/do-you-git-it-open-educational-resourcespractices-meets-software-version-control/ (check out the comments for extra links to things).

If you have any questions about this get in touch.

Martin

Martin Hawksey
JISC CETIS

e: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
w: http://jisc.cetis.ac.uk
t: 0141 5483072