I think this is one of the saddest e-mails I have ever read, though that sadness is because of the response from the Head of Midwifery (HoM).  I wonder how the HoM defines ‘professional care’ and what she thinks it can and cannot encompass?  There is something deeply wrong in our society where professional care, presumably, includes the habit of offering a woman an epidural as soon as she is admitted to a labour ward, but does not include care given by a midwife who sits quietly and attentively in a corner of the room, observing, listening, and engaging on a profoundly emotional and spiritual level.

I have sat and knitted while attending women at a home birth.  It is not something I would do at every birth, and I can’t imagine ever doing it unless I had met the woman several times beforehand.  The practice/art (not sure that either of those words is suitable actually) of knitting is based, I think, on a relationship of trust that has developed over time.  It is a very clear, but calm way of demonstrating that ‘all is well’.

I remember sitting knitting at a friend’s homebirth some years ago.  It is perhaps no coincidence that I was knitting the left hand side of a cardigan (just over the heart region) while my friend laboured, supported by her partner.  I think of my friend, and her daughter, every time I wear the cardigan – it is one of my most precious possessions.

With warm good wishes

Mary

Mary Stewart

Senior lecturer in midwifery