I posted the following comment on the 2 April Aspire Release update last week, but as the Talis team have not come back with a response as yet (and I'm keen to send out clarification to colleagues ASAP), I thought I'd repost the comment to list, to see if any other sites could add any clarifications or insights.

http://support.talisaspire.com/entries/21211542-aspire-release-2nd-april

On the 'editing resources that appear on multiple lists/multiple times on the same lists':

For us, so infrequent are the cases where (on the library side at least) we would want to update 'just this occurrence' that this is a less welcome development, introducing extra clicks and delays in the item updating process. I think it's liable to be a source of academic confusion too. However, I'm sure it's not a tenancy level option, so, instead, a couple of questions and comments:

* The wording of the Confirm Save prompt is, I think confusing and likely to be off-putting to many users - I think the implications of the choices are not self-evident, and academics may be concerned that they are changing 'other people's data' if they select 'All occurrences'. It's not 'all occurrences', is it? It's not 'every record for Smith on Economics' in the tenancy, it's every use of the 'Smith, Economics' bookmark record of that individual, isn't it?

* Also, I'm not clear on the phrasing 'This resource appears on n items in n lists' in the Confirm Save prompt. In what sense does the resource 'appear on items'? Wouldn't it be clearer if phrased 'This item/resource appears n times on n lists'?

* If a list editor chooses to update 'Just this occurrence', how are future relationships between list items created from the same bookmark managed? If I have one bookmark, add it twice to different places in the same list, then make separate 'Just this occurrence' changes to each of those occurrences, what happens with the record relationship when future edits are attempted? What happens to the original bookmark?

* Lastly, would it be possible to offer additional information in the Confirm Save screen, either detailing the occurrences (rather than offering a blind count) or providing a link which would open up a screen providing deep-link access to all occurrences? At present, the editor is being alerted to the fact the Save action may have knock-on implications, but doesn't have much information on which to then make an informed decision about those implications

Regards

Richard Cross
Resource Discovery and Innovation Team Manager
Libraries and Learning Resources
Hollymount House
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham NG1 4BU
t: +44(0)115 848 4878
m: 07789 983916
e: [log in to unmask]

DISCLAIMER: This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University. Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in keeping with good computing practice.