A partial solution can potentially lead you to an appropriate MR
solution. With many protein chains in the ASU,  there will be several
"reasonable" possibilities by Matthews analysis. When I originally
solved 2A8D, cell content analysis suggested 8 monomers per ASU, but it
was clear after a few MR runs that was not going to work. Inspecting the
packing of a partial solution with 4 monomers, which formed a nice,
biological-looking tetramer, clearly suggested that another dimer would
fit into the lattice just nicely. A search with 3 such dimers produced
an excellent MR solution starting point for the final refinement. I used
a similar procedure for 3UAO. The Matthews analysis suggested 10-12
chains per ASU, but it was clearly 8 based on packing of partial
solutions. A 4-dimer search was immediately successful.

Cheers,

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor