On 4/10/2012 10:44 PM, Kay Diederichs wrote:
> Hi Dale,
>
> my experience is that high-B regions may become "visible" in maps only late in refinement. So my answer to the original poster would be - "both global reciprocal-space (phase quality) and local real-space (high mobility) features contribute to a region not appearing ordered in the map". This would be supported by your experience if those residues that you could not model in 3BCL had high (or at least higher) B-factors compared to the rest of the model. Is that so?

    Actually the residues I couldn't model in 3BCL had no B's... :)

    Seriously, the residues that appeared for 4BCL did have B values much
higher than average.  Their density was weak in the best of circumstances
and more susceptible to obliteration by the distortions caused by
imprecision in the phases.  I don't really want to describe this as "phase
error" as that phrase conjures notions of large changes in phase.  The
R value only dropped from 18.9% to 17.8% from 3BCL to 4BCL.  I don't
expect there were huge differences in the phase angles, but the differences
were enough.

Dale