Hi all

Coming to this conversation late and only got a little bit of fairly
anecdotal evidence to add but thought it might be an interesting
comparison with Matthew's figures about motivations for visiting the BM
website.

In a couple of online surveys we did recently with adults (115 responses
to the relevant question) and teachers (53 responses to the relevant
question), we asked them to rank various different reasons for visiting
museum websites in general in order of importance and they collated the
average responses.

Adults put them in this order:

1.    Finding out what events/exhibitions are being held

2.    Finding out how to get to the museum

3.    Finding out what objects are in the museum's collections

4.    Finding out information to help me learn about a subject (e.g.
London's history)

5.    Finding out about research facilities

6.    I might click on a link to the website from a social media channel
if I think it looks interesting

7.    I might find pages of a museum website through a Google search

8.    To find out what the museum offers for schools

9.    To find out what the museum offers for universities

10.To play online games

Whereas teachers put them in this order:

1.    Finding resources to support my classroom teaching

2.    To find out what you offer for schools

3.    Finding resources to support me in planning my visit to the museum

4.    Finding out what events/exhibitions are being held

5.    Finding pre- or post-visit resources to use with my class

6.    Finding out how to get to the museum

For adults, we can also see the percentages of respondents who ranked
these reasons in their top 3 reasons for visiting a museum website:

Answer Options

Response Percent

Response Count

Finding out what events/exhibitions are being held

97.3%

109

Finding out how to get to the museum

90.2%

101

Finding out what objects are in the museum's collections

58.9%

66

Finding out information to help me learn about a subject (e.g. London's
history)

52.7%

59

I might click on a link to the website from a social media channel if I
think it looks interesting

45.5%

51

I might find pages of a museum website through a Google search

33.0%

37

Finding out about research facilities

23.2%

26

To play online games

18.8%

21

To find out what the museum offers for schools

17.9%

20

To find out what the museum offers for universities

14.3%

16

This is far from perfect data for a number of reasons but quite
interesting nevertheless.  I think we can see from this that teachers
are more interested in material that isn't related to a physical visit,
whereas adults, certainly these adults, were more interested in
information about the physical visit.

Thanks

Rhiannon

Rhiannon LooseleyOnline Learning ManagerMuseum of LondonLondon Wall150 London WallLondon EC2Y 5HNTel: 020 7814 5774Email: [log in to unmask]www.museumoflondon.org.uk

Investors in People Award 2010

Book tickets for Dickens and London

Open until 10 June 2012

www.museumoflondon.org.uk/dickens

Follow us online via Facebook, Twitter and Scribd www.museumoflondon.org.uk/online
Before printing, please think about the environment