I am trying to perform seed based analysis on resting state fMRI data to study network connectivity. I am using masks in deep white matter (four small spheres located anterior/posterior R/L), CSF (lateral ventricles) and whole brain average time series to remove nuisance signals and then using the residual fMRI image for seed based connectivity analysis. However in the first few analyses I have tried, when I look at the results, although I see regions above statistical threshold I do not see expected relationships around the seed mask positions themselves which seems odd. This is the first time I have tried to analyze resting state so I'm wondering what if anything I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?