Hello everyone

I am looking for advice about using student's L1 texts and parallel texts
in the classroom. I teach multilingual ESOL classes, that is to say I have
no real proficiency in the majority of my students' L1s.

I was preparing for a visit by a nurse from Newham PCT , she was going
to do a talk on TB with them. To this end I did an ICT activity wherein they
found leaflets on TB in their own languages on the Department of Health
website. The students are ostensibly E1 but are in fact at a variety of levels
including E3.

Basically I just got them to access these texts and read them, that was the
only task. It felt rather unsatisfactory, not having a task where I could assess
their learning. However the students all read their texts with interest, so
perhaps that is not really an issue. What do you think ? The obvious point
is that doing it like this would appear not to be suitable for an observed
lesson.

I also wondered about the usefulness of using parallel texts - eg the NHS
TB leaflet in English and in their own language , on the same screens. I
am guessing that they have the same content , but I emphasise that is
just speculation on my part.  What do you think ?

Thanks to everyone for advise/advice comments from my earlier post.

Regards

Dominic Clarke
*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at: http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]