Colleagues: attached the ministerial statement by Hayes on the Communities and Local Government Dept £10m for ESOL. Doesn’t say much than we didn’t know either about how it will be used or by whom. The devil as ever will be in the detail

WRITTEN MINISTERIAL STATEMENT

JOHN HAYES MINISTER OF STATE FOR FURTHER EDUCATION, SKILLS AND LIFELONG LEARNING; DEPARTMENT FOR BUSINESS, INNOVATION AND SKILLS

ENGLISH FOR SPEAKERS OF OTHER LANGUAGES

I together with my hon Friend the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State Andrew Stunell OBE MP would like to update the House following my statement I made on of 18 July 2011, columns 59-60WS, on the provision of English for Speakers of Other languages (ESOL) training.

The written statement of 18 July 2011 stated that the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills would work with the Department for Communities and Local Government to consider additional ESOL provision for learners with no, or extremely poor, levels of spoken English, who are not in or currently actively seeking employment, and are unable to afford course fees.

We are therefore pleased that the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government will make available up to £10m in the 2011/12 Academic Year to support this additional English language training. Funding is now being offered to Further Education colleges and training providers in areas facing significant integration challenges to support the delivery of English language training

As set out in Creating the Conditions for Integration, published on 21st February, we believe that being able to communicate in English is vital for an individual’s personal advancement, and central to creating strong and integrated communities.

UCU Senior National Education Official FE and Lifelong Learning

Carlow St

London N1 7LH

Direct telephone: 0207 756 2591

Mobile: 07977132008

Stay up to date with UCU by signing up to our weekly web update, news feeds, twitter or facebook services: http://www.ucu.org.uk/stayupdated

Want additional support? The College and University Support Network (Recourse) offers UCU members a range of services - from factsheets to counselling. Access these services online http://recourse.org.uk/ or through the 24/7 telephone support line, Freephone 0808 8020304

Disclaimer
The information contained in this communication from [log in to unmask] sent at 2012-03-01 14:23:02 is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for use by [log in to unmask] and others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
This email message has been scanned for viruses by Mimecast. Please add ucu.org.uk to your safe senders list to ensure that you continue to receive UCU e-mail

*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at: http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]