Fernando:
	Thank you very much for asking us about improvements to your proposed poll.  I have some comments and recommendations below.

Sincerely,
Craig T. Dedo
17130 W. Burleigh Place
P. O. Box 423                  Mobile Phone:  (414) 412-5869
Brookfield, WI   53008-0423    E-mail:  <[log in to unmask]>
USA
Linked-In:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/craigdedo

	<snip>

> 4) How many lines of code has the largest Fortran program which have you ever seen?
>     0 - 1K LOC
>     1 - 10K LOC
>     10 - 100K LOC
>     100K LOC - 1G LOC
>     More than 1G LOC

	The first 3 go up by a multiple of 10; the 4th by a multiple of 10,000.  It would be better if you rewrote choice #4 as:
	100K LOC - 1M LOC
	1M LOC - 10M LOC
	10M LOC - 100M LOC
	100M LOC - 1G LOC

> 5) You have developed programs in Fortran for:
>     Weather and climate modelling and forecasting
>     Astrophysics
>     Web applications
>     Condensed matter and material designing
>     Signal processing
>     Computational mechanics
>     Molecular dynamics
>     CAD/CAM
>     CFD
>     FEM
>     Surface Profile
>     3D Ground-water flow model
>     Hydrology & Water Quality Water Bodies
>     Dynamic Pipe Flow Distribution
>     Ground Motions from Earthquakes
>     Analog electronic circuit simulator
>     Subsurface/reservoir flow
>     Wave propagation
>     Earth Simulator's multiphysics code
>     Shock wave, solid mechanics models
>     Quantum chemistry
>     Linear algebra
>     Computer performance evaluation
>     AI
>     Games
>     GUIs
>     Petroleum exploration/production
>     Crystallography
>     Databases/administrative systems
>     Business Administration
>     Text processing
>     Other

	Here are a few more application areas in which Fortran is used:
	Financial analysis.  Much of the financial analysis software in the major financial trading firms is written in Fortran.
	Algorithm development
	Manufacturing applications, e.g., Shop Floor Control, Communication with PLCs, Control of Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems (ASRS), Tracking Work-in-Process (WIP) through the Production Process, Warehousing, Manufacturing Simulation

	<snip>

> 7)You program using Fortran because
>     Fortan is the best language
>     Fortran is the only language you know
>     Fortran is the language used in your lab/corporation
>     You need specific Fortran libraries (e.g. BLAS, NAG Fortran Library)
>     You work on/with a legacy Fortran code
>     other

	Here are a few more reasons to use Fortran.  Many of these are not very much appreciated in the language selection decision, but they do have tremendous impact on results.
	Human (i.e., Programmer) Productivity, e.g., Function Points / Direct Labor Hour and similar measures.
	Ease of understanding
	Ease of use
	Easy learning curve
	High-powered syntax, in terms of how much you can accomplish in one or a few statements.  High-powered features include:  Whole-array operations, array section operations, user-defined operators, user-defined generics, etc.

	<snip>

> 15)Compiler/s you use:
>     Absoft
>     Cray
>     gfortran
>     IBM xlf
>     ifort
>     Lahey
>     NAGware f95
>     Open64
>     PGI Portland
>     Other

	You may wish to spell out ifort in full, i.e., "Intel Fortran"

	<snip>

	Cross-language Development.
	You may wish to add Visual Basic.

	Operating System / Platform.
	You may wish to add a question about what operating system(s) the respondent is developing on / for.  I would ask about these, as well as any other significant platforms:
	OpenVMS
	Windows
	MacOS
	Unixes.  Include 5 or 6 of the most widely used Unix variants.

	Industry.
	You may wish to add a question about what industry or kind of firm the respondent is working in.  The needs of for-profit commercial and industrial firms are often quite different from those in academia, non-profit organizations, or vendors of software products.