            Why in the world would anyone want someone to teach a version of Fortran that
was never really standard and the standardized version of it, FORTRAN 66, became obsolete
34 years ago (1978)?

> would a fortran iv program be potentially standard conformant?

            No.  The FORTRAN 66 standard is very close, but not identical, to FORTRAN IV,
which was a product that was defined and published by IBM.  No, I don't know exactly what
the differences are.

            More importantly, there are 4 features of F66 that are no longer in the
Fortran 2008 standard.  Three were removed with the publication of Fortran 95 and a fourth
with the publication of Fortran 2003, so none of them have been part of the official ISO
Fortran standard for the last 2 Fortran standards.  Here are the F66 features that have
been deleted.

1.      PAUSE statement.

2.     ASSIGN, ASSIGNed GOTO, and ASSIGNed FORMAT statements.

3.     H edit descriptor

4.     Vertical format control.

> we are currently searching the internet for details of the language and have come

> across a number of sources.

> we have also found quite a surprising number of Fortran IV books available via

> abebooks.

> would anyone have any recommendations for Fortran iv books?

> thanks in advance

> Ian Chivers

> Jane Sleightholme.

Sincerely,

Craig T. Dedo

17130 W. Burleigh Place

P. O. Box 423                         Mobile Phone:  (414) 412-5869

Brookfield, WI   53008-0423    E-mail:  < <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]>

USA

Linked-In:   <http://www.linkedin.com/in/craigdedo> http://www.linkedin.com/in/craigdedo

Sincerely,

Craig T. Dedo

17130 W. Burleigh Place

P. O. Box 423                         Mobile Phone:  (414) 412-5869

Brookfield, WI   53008-0423    E-mail:  <[log in to unmask]>