[log in to unmask]" alt="ALL+Logo+Blue">

Welcome to ALLNet, the weekly E-bulletin for the Association for Language Learning!

IN THIS WEEK’S ALLNET:

ALL Update

The Headlines

Other News

ALL Events

Other Events

Offers & Opportunities from our Corporate Members

How to Join the Association for Language Learning

How to contact us

News & Announcements

Don’t forget to keep checking our website for all the latest news in languages education.

ALL Update

Language World 2012 Twitter competition

Our lucky winner is @kweightman85, from Catmose College in Oakham, who told us: I would like to attend #LW2012 because as an NQT it will launch networking with like minded teachers and inspire. Start as I mean to go on!” Absolutely right, and congratulations to you! We look forward to meeting you at Language World. Find out more about Language World here: http://tiny.cc/LW2012.

Languages for all - defining today, transforming tomorrow! Language World 2012 University of Manchester, 30 - 31 March 2012. Language World is the professional development event for language teachers in the UK: two days of non-stop CPD, updates, ideas and inspiration; an exhibition with all the latest resources, services and equipment; and a chance to share and learn with colleagues from all over the country. Be part of your subject community, and contribute to the future of language teaching and learning!

-          Programme: We’ve got a packed programme of great speakers and sessions, with something for everyone: from our Language World debate panel, a host of workshops and major talks to our popular show & tell sessions.

You can download the summary programme, and more details for the Friday programme and Saturday programme too.

-          Booking: We are now taking bookings: view our pricelist here, and download a booking form here.

-          Exhibition: we have a great selection of companies offering training, resources and software in our free exhibition.

-          Accommodation: This year we do not have university accommodation, but you can book your hotel room via our partner Conference Search by clicking here. If you do need accommodation, please book as soon as you can as we are unable to hold rooms throughout the whole of March.

-          Venue: We will be at the University of Manchester, Sackville Street Campus, M1 3BB. For more details, visit our website.

-          Extra events: There are a number of extra events going on around the main conference, such as:

- A walking tour of Manchester, with Geoff Brammall from our ALL Manchester group at 3pm on Thursday 29 March,

- A wine reception in the Language World exhibition, sponsored by Pearson, at 5pm on Friday 30 March and

- The annual Language World dinner, sponsored by Sanako, at 7:30pm on Friday 30 March. Find out more on our website.

-          Spreading the word: Print out and put up our poster, and tell your friends and colleagues about Language World!

ALL-Active

If you’re active in an ALL branch, network, on a Committee or just a really keen ALL supporter, then you might wish to join the ALL-Active email list.  Here we post information about branches and networks, details of opportunities within ALL, ask members for advice and ask for help in promoting our activities.  To join the list, please send a message to [log in to unmask].

ALL-AE

Teachers in adult education often find themselves isolated and with poor access to professional development opportunities – join ALL-AE and find out what’s going on! ALL-AE is our email discussion list for those teaching languages in adult education, whether that’s in local authorities, FE, HE or in other settings.   You can join the list at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=ALL-AE.

Fifth Sixth UK Russian Essay Competition 2011-12

The Russian Committee of the Association for Language Learning is pleased to announce the winners launch of the Fifth Sixth UK Russian Essay Competition 2011 2012. Students learning Russian at schools, colleges and universities in the UK, including heritage and adult learners, were are invited to participate in the competition. For more information, visit the official Competition website: http://www.resources4russian.co.uk/essay/.

The Headlines

Lords debate on languages, 06 Mar 2012

“To ask Her Majesty's Government what is their response to the 2012 university applications figures from the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) showing that applications for courses in European languages are down by 11.2 per cent and non-European languages by 21.5 per cent compared to the previous year” http://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/?id=2012-03-06a.1664.1

A Living Language: A Language for Living

The Welsh Government will focus on helping people to use Welsh in everyday life, including through new technology and social media: http://nds.coi.gov.uk/content/Detail.aspx?ReleaseID=423421&NewsAreaID=2.

Other News

Primary Languages Classroom Awards

The Primary Languages Classroom Awards (PLCA) are sponsored by a number of organisations, including ALL. They celebrate the exceptional work of teachers throughout the UK in promoting language development at primary level, and will take place at the Education Show 2012. The awards are judged independently by a panel of professional educational and language experts, including classroom teachers and head teachers. Liz Foxwell, organiser of the Primary Languages Classroom Awards, said: “It is crucial that the education sector takes the time to recognise the hard work and dedication of teachers throughout the UK in promoting languages. These contributions and the innovation to be found cannot go unnoticed, and we look forward to celebrating the achievements of this year’s winners.” Look out for news of the PLCA winners in a future ALLNet bulletin.

A message from Canada!

“Would your institution be interested in establishing an exchange partnership with Collège international des Marcellines (CIM) in Canada? We can offer your students a warm and extremely stimulating environment to study and discover the unique French culture of North America, while enjoying life in Montreal. The CIM is a small private preuniversity college (cim.marcelline.qc.ca) that offers three programs: Health or Pure and Applied Sciences, Social sciences, and Languages.  We pride ourselves in providing all students with an international outlook and a broad general culture through history and humanities classes. Please contact Celia Baró at [log in to unmask] for further information about this exchange partnership proposal.”

Apply now – new grants for China partnerships

Calling all UK schools in a partnership with China!  Bring China to life for your pupils with one of the British Council’s new funding opportunities from the Connecting Classrooms programme - www.britishcouncil.org/connectingclassrooms.

Visit Grants: Build your relationship and develop your partnership with a funded visit.

Project Grants: Work with your partner on a curriculum-based project with funding for travel and project costs.

Better Community, Better Life Grants: Work with your partner on a community-themed art project.  Use our project guidance and get funding for travel and project costs.

Who can apply: UK schools in a cluster or group partnership with Chinese schools (any Grant), or UK schools with a one-to-one partnership with a Chinese school (Project Grants only)

Application deadline:  31 Mar 2012

For more information and to apply, visit http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms-recruit-china2012.htm.

British Academy Schools Language Awards
The British Academy is launching a new scheme offering cash awards to secondary schools across the UK who can demonstrate innovative and creative language teaching. This is an opportunity both to promote the learning of languages, and to enhance and reward teaching excellence. The British Academy Schools Language Awards is open to secondary schools in the UK and will be given to projects that promote foreign language learning by finding creative ways to improve the quality of language teaching and motivating students. Two awards of £4,000 will be given to projects in 7 UK regions - one for languages taught in mainstream secondary schools and one for complementary / supplementary schools. A National Award of an additional £4,000 will be given to the best overall project. For information, go to: http://www.britac.ac.uk/policy/Schools_Language_Awards.cfm. Application deadline:
30 Mar 2012.

European Language Label 2012

Could your language learning project inspire others and win a top prize? The search is on for the most innovative language learning projects in the UK with applications now being invited for the prestigious European Language Label. The competition recognises and celebrates new ways to inspire and motivate language learners at all levels and schools, colleges, adult education, business and community projects are all invited to take part. If you have a school project that is creative and demonstrates both improved language teaching and learning, there are some great prizes to be won. (Deadline now extended to: 30 Mar 2012). For more details, prizes and the application form, go to: www.cilt.org.uk/home/valuing_languages/european_language_label1.aspx.

Events

Don’t forget to keep checking our website for all the latest training and CPD events.

ALL Events

March:

10 Mar 2012, University of Leicester Organised chaos – managing mixed ability groups.

ALL Adult Education events: Top Teaching and Contented Customers

A series of linked training sessions for teachers of languages to adults. Further sessions on:

12 May 2012, University of Leicester Is IT working? The place of IT in adult language learning.

More information: http://tiny.cc/ALLAE2012.

15 Mar 2012, The Business Centre, Durrington High School, Worthing, West Sussex BN131JX: ALL Sussex MFL Show and Tell http://www.all-languages.org.uk/events-list/details/read/all_sussex_mfl_show_and_tell

16 Mar 2012, The Showroom Cinema, Sheffield: ALL Yorkshire King Edward VII School: French Sixth Form Day 2012 http://www.all-languages.org.uk/events-list/details/read/king_edward_vii_school_french_sixth_form_day_2012

17 Mar 2012, Hotel Russell: Russell Square, London, WC1B 5BE: Japan Webpage Contest for Schools 2011-12 Awards Ceremony:

The Prize Winning Schools are: Heathfield House School, Luton Sixth Form College, Newstead Wood School and Tenbury CofE Primary School, and each of the schools have been invited to give a presentation about their website, and receive their award(s). The award ceremony will be followed by a reception. This event is open to the public, but registration is essential. Please click here to register.

20 Mar 2012, Newcastle University: ALL North East Twilight session: Exploring the LinkedUp projects database

http://www.all-languages.org.uk/events-list/details/read/exploring_the_linkedup_projects_database

21 Mar 2012, The Showroom Cinema, Sheffield: ALL Yorkshire King Edward VII School: Spanish Sixth Form Day 2012 http://www.all-languages.org.uk/events-list/details/read/king_edward_vii_school_spanish_sixth_form_day_2012

24 Mar 2012, Harefield Oast East Selling Faversham ME13 9QZ: ALL Kent AGM: Helping Ourselves

http://www.all-languages.org.uk/events-list/details/read/all_kent_helping_ourselves

24 Mar 2012, Manchester Grammar School, M13 0XT: ALL Manchester How to achieve ‘Outstanding’ from Ofsted

http://www.all-languages.org.uk/events-list/details/read/how_to_achieve_outstanding_from_ofsted

27th Mar 2012, Westdene Primary School, Brighton BN1 5GN: ALL Sussex Show and Tell: Linking to 2012

http://www.all-languages.org.uk/events-list/details/read/all_sussex_showandtell_linking_to_2012

30-31 Mar 2012, University of Manchester: ALL’s national conference Language World 2012!

http://www.all-languages.org.uk/events/language_world/language_world_2012

May

12 May 2012, Woodbridge School, Suffolk: ALL Essex & East Anglia AGM and Training Day

http://www.all-languages.org.uk/events-list/details/read/all_essex_and_east_anglia_agm_and_training_day

12 May 2012, University of Leicester Is IT working? The place of IT in adult language learning.

ALL Adult Education events: Top Teaching and Contented Customers

A series of linked training sessions for teachers of languages to adults. Further sessions on:

More information: http://tiny.cc/ALLAE2012.

19 May 2012, Manchester Grammar School, M13 0XT: ALL Manchester Classroom Behaviour Management

http://www.all-languages.org.uk/events-list/details/read/classroom_behaviour_management

Other Events

March:

08 Mar 2012, 17:00, Oxford University Department of Education, & 12 Mar 2012, 18:00: Institute of Education, London:

Schools for the Future Europe Book launch and seminar with open discussion: http://networkforlanguageslondon.org.uk/course/talking-target-language-developing-spontaneity-in-the-classroom/

For everyone wishing to include more about Europe, culture and values in classroom teaching and interested in bilingual approaches to foreign language teaching and learning. For more information, contact: [log in to unmask].

09 Mar 2012, University of Westminster, London: Network for Languages London Talking Target Language: developing spontaneity in the classroom: http://networkforlanguageslondon.org.uk/course/talking-target-language-developing-spontaneity-in-the-classroom/

10 Mar 2012, Birmingham: Learning Italian through Cinema

A training day exploring the potential for enhancing language education through the use of existing audio visual media from cinematic sources: http://www.all-languages.org.uk/events-list/details/read/learning_italian_through_cinema_2

15-17 Mar 2012, Birmingham NEC: The Education Show:

The UK’s largest educational resources event, where you can discover new approaches to learning and teaching through free CPD seminars, source the latest products and services from leading suppliers and save money with exclusive special offers.

Visit www.education-show.com/register for free entry. Enter priority code EALL.

Update: This year at the Education Show, Emas uk will be hosting a series of workshops led by teachers, consultants and publishers at the Language Information Point. Find out more here: http://www.education-show.com/education/website/Default.aspx?refer=48.

17 Mar 2012, Trafalgar Square, London: A Francophone Festival in Trafalgar Square:

10:00 - 18:00: International Organisation of La Francophonie (IOF), in partnership with the French-speaking embassies of London, will be adding a little ‘je ne sais quoi’ to Trafalgar Square with the launch of “Le Français J’Adore!”: http://www.lefrancaisjadore.com/en/

12.30 - 19.30: Music en français is the UK's biggest celebration of the international French Language Day, in the heart of London, in Trafalgar Square: http://www.institut-francais.org.uk/musicenfrancais.

17 Mar 2012, Latymer School in North London: Russian Day Conference:

The Russian Day Conference (and AGM) organised by the Russian Teachers’ Group UK will include talks on language games; developing speaking skills; trips and exchanges; and teaching verbs of motion. Contact [log in to unmask] for further details.

19 Mar 2012, Durham University, Festival of International Culture

20 Mar 2012, Teesside University, Festival of International Culture

21 Mar 2012, Newcastle University, Festival of International Culture

A great opportunity for your pre-GCSE options groups to spend a morning learning new languages and cultural traditions and gaining an understanding of the importance of language learning, before their GCSE option choices.

24 Mar 2012, 09.30-16.00, School of Humanities, Avenue Campus, University of Southampton, SO17 1BF: The challenges of teaching fast-track Italian: A day of seminars to exchange ideas on strategies  for effective teaching and independent learning. For more information, please contact Paola Visconti: [log in to unmask] / http://www.sis.ac.uk/cgi-bin/safeperl/sisinfo/sistine.pl?soton2012.

ALL Corporate Member Update

Offers & Opportunities from our ALL Corporate Members

Vocab Express National Language Championship

The final results of the Vocab Express National Language Championship, which took place from 29 February to 6 March 2012, can now be found on the Vocab Express website: www.vocabexpress.com/nationalchampionship. Well done to all the students and schools who took part! Congratulations to the top performing students: first place: Haidee B, Wirral Grammar School for Girls - 188,210 pts, second place: Chelsea P, Wirral Grammar School for Girls - 174,280 pts, third place: AKHTAR D, Halifax High - 160,460 pts. Congratulations also to the top performing schools: Genius Cup winners: Wirral Grammar School for Girls - 969,930 pts, Challenge Cup Piccolo winners: The Dixie Grammar School - 238,220 pts, Challenge Cup Medio winners: Blessed Edward Oldcorne Catholic College - 1,291,365 pts, and Challenge Cup Grande winners: Halifax High - 929,115 pts.

Sanako

The FREE audio assessment tool for language teachers and learners.

The free Sanako Study Lite is a simple to use media player / recorder suitable for both aural and oral activities. An intuitive graphical user interface enables seamless interaction with most PC’s and laptops. The voice insert facility allows teacher to listen to the students recording and automatically insert their comments at the appropriate moment without deleting the student track. You too can own this great piece of kit! To download the latest Study Lite player go to: http://www.all-languages.org.uk/community/special_offers.

LEAP

In-Service Training Courses for existing and aspiring teachers in France, Germany, Italy and Spain (2012-13)
Language Education And Partnerships (LEAP) offer a range of in-service training courses for existing and aspiring teachers in primary, secondary, further and adult education, designed to develop your understanding of the teaching and learning of language and culture.
These courses, which can  be funded through a Comenius or Grundtvig In-service-training grant, are available throughout 2012-13. They provide an excellent opportunity for you to enhance your teaching methodology while improving your language skills and cultural knowledge. For more information, visit: http://www.leaponline.eu/cs/.

Languages Direct

For the next 30 days Languages Direct is offering ALL members an exclusive discount on a year’s subscription to their two bi-monthly audio magazines, Bien-dire and Punto y Coma, for intermediate to advanced speakers of French and Spanish! Both Bien-dire and Punto y Coma are the perfect resource for use in the classroom or for self-study as they provide up-to-date, culturally-rich, high quality audio and written content which helps improve listening comprehension, vocabulary acquisition and the ability to speak French (or Spanish) as it is really spoken. As an incentive to try out a subscription, for the next 30 days, Languages Direct are offering a 10% discount on a year’s subscription, that’s £89 instead of £99 for a six issue, one year subscription. Find out more on our website: http://www.all-languages.org.uk/community/special_offers.

ALL together now!

How to Join the Association for Language Learning

ALL is run by teachers and other professionals actively involved in language learning and teaching. Membership of ALL gives support from like-minded people, keeps you up to date with the issues that matter to you, and offers a range of fascinating (and fun) opportunities to develop your skills and your career. We are completely independent of the government – an organisation of language teachers, here to represent and support language teachers. Why not join us today?

For more information about the best membership package for you, visit our website:

www.all-languages.org.uk/join/join_us; or contact: [log in to unmask] (0116 229 7600).

How to Contact Us

Association for Language Learning, University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester   LE1 7RH

0116 229 7600

FB

www.facebook.com/alllanguages.org.uk

0116 223 1488