Dear All

It has come to my attention that some Student Unions are taking a stance
against  the proposed HESA data collection on sexual orientation and
religion and belief, in particular sexual orientation, as it is a
particularly sensitive area for transgender students.   Apparently HESA
have been approached by a number of SUs to communicate their
disagreement with this particular type of data collection.  As well as
introducing these two new fields to the student 2012/13 collection, HESA
are also making other changes with regard to a differentiation between
'gender' and 'sex'.

In light of this, we are reviewing the necessity to collect such data
and have discovered that the two future fields in question have actually
been deemed 'optional' by HESA for both staff and students.

I am therefore writing to ask what approach other institutions are
taking and if they have already started to collect the data, what sort
of response you have received.

Many thanks

Sandra

Mrs Sandra Beaufoy