See below for funded PhD opportunities at Newcastle. Apologies for any cross-posting.

Yours,

Francis Jones

Research Studentships, School of Modern Languages, Newcastle University

Translation and Interpreting Studies at the School of Modern Languages at Newcastle University is pleased to announce several opportunities for PhD studentships.

Graduate Teaching Assistantship in Translating and Interpreting Studies. Deadline: 25 March 2012

AHRC awards in Interpreting and Translation. Deadline 1 March 2012

How to Apply

Postgraduate Open Day Wednesday 15 February 2012

The School of Modern Languages at Newcastle is one of the leading departments for research in the UK, with particular strengths in Translating and Interpreting; Linguistics; History, Politics and Society; Cultural Studies; Film and Visual Media; Literature. We work as an integrated school in terms of both research and teaching, allowing us to develop true interdisciplinarity within and across our language sections, and with other schools in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (HASS).

Among the key interests for our community of  staff and student researchers are:

More about Translating and Interpreting research at Newcastle.

There is a vibrant wider research culture in the School, which also has strong links to a number of Research Groups and Centres in the HASS Faculty, including: Translating and Interpreting Research Forum; Americas Research Group; Centre for Research in Linguistics and Language Sciences (CRiLLS); Early Modern Studies; Postcolonial Studies Group; Research Group in Film and Media.

We run a rich portfolio of taught Masters Programmes in Translating and Interpreting, as well as in Film, Latin American Studies and Linguistics, in addition to Research Masters and Doctoral programmes. We have a lively international postgraduate community within the School and at Faculty level.

Graduate Teaching Assistantship

Deadline: 16 March 2012

We offer a fully funded PhD position for a three-year period. Full advertisement.

As a Graduate Teaching Assistant, the successful candidate will teach up to 6 hours per week and in return will receive:

The studentship will commence on 01/10/2012 or as soon thereafter as possible. Informal enquiries can be made to the Director of Postgraduate Studies of the School of Modern Languages, Prof. Henrike Lähnemann, Tel: 0191 222 7513 or to Dr Francis Jones, tel: 0191-222.7796.

AHRC awards in Interpreting & Translation

The School of Modern Languages at Newcastle invites applications for AHRC Block Grant Partnership Postgraduate Studentships for 2012 entry in Interpreting and Translation. This is a multi-faceted inter-discipline where different fields, like linguistics, literary and cultural studies, interact and spark ideas from each other.  Key interests for our community of staff and student researchers are: Literary translation; Ideological and socio-political aspects of translation and interpreting (including culture, society and identity); Translating and interpreting processes; and Translator and interpreter training. Further information

Please see the funding link for more information on the awards and how to apply. Please note: you must check the AHRC's eligibility (www.ncl.ac.uk/pg/fund/ahrc) criteria to see if you are eligible to apply and if you would qualify for a full or partial award. Informal enquiries can be made to Dr Francis Jones, tel: 0191-222.7796.

How to Apply

To be considered for an award, you should first apply to the School via the central portal for Postgraduate admission. Once you have a conditional or unconditional offer of a place you may submit an application for a studentship. To apply for a studentship, you should send the School of Modern Languages Postgraduate Officer:

(1)  A letter of no more than 300 words stating your name, the programme you have applied for and your application number  highlighting the reasons why you are a suitable candidate for a studentship;

(2)  A copy of your c.v.

Enquiries and Applications: Postgraduate Officer Lucy Brickwood
Level 6, Old Library Building, School of Modern Languages, Newcastle University, Tyne and Wear, NE1 7RU
Telephone: +44 (0)191 222 5867 Fax: + 44 (0) 191 222 3496

Postgraduate Open Day Wednesday 15 February 2012

Further information about postgraduate study at Newcastle will be available at our Postgraduate Open Day on Wednesday 15th February 2012. To reserve your place, visit or email us for more details.

Francis R. Jones
School of Modern Languages
Newcastle University
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU
U.K.

tel: (+44/0)191-222.7796 (office)
     (+44/0)7760-993409 (mobile: voicemail outside office hours)
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
web-page:    www.ncl.ac.uk/sml/staff/profile/francis.jones