From: Derek B. Miller [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Freitag, 3. Februar 2012 11:38
Subject: Re: Is claim/research on 'success' one-sided? RE: Apple Success under Jobs

Rosan,

I've now read your question carefully (this email only) and several times. This is what your research design requires if you are posing this as en empirical question:

1. "my reading of popular and professional accounts of the success of Apple under Jobs"

That is a discourse analysis, and one helpful approach is predicate analysis. Your universe of relevant material will be defined by the criteria you set, i.e., popular and professional accounts. You will need to define those terms and and explain why these definitions are productive and generative in answering your question. Your answers will NOT be the only answers available. Rather, they need to show fidelity between your question, your modes of analysis, and the claims you will be making from your analysis.

You also have a nicely available timeline for your analysis (i.e. under Jobs).

2. You are going to need to independently measure the success of Apple under Jobs. There are many, many ways to do this, but here are some of the key conceptual matters you will need to attend to: How are you measuring success? Revenue? Year-end accounting? Market share? Capitalization? Relationship of their strategic goal to their achievements, and therefore you're using an in-house measure? One way or another, this needs to be answered and quantified over time.

3.. Whatever the measure, you will now need to make a claim about the status of that level of success. And the only way to do this that I can think of is comparatively. So compare "like to like." I'm not an expert in this business area so i don't know the answer. But I need to see at least several time series lines showing a "measure of success" for these 2/3/4/5/ companies. And they should be co-terminous (sorry for the pun) with Job's tenure at Apple.

4. And you will then need to do another discourse analysis of the "popular and professional accounts" of these other companies.

You eventually arrive at a series of measures of success that can be compared to measures of reputation grounded empirically in discourse analysis.

You will then be able to look across the cases and say, "yup, Apple was definitely perceived to be doing better than rivals that were, in fact, doing just as well." Or not. I have no idea.

You will still be in NO position to explain WHY any of this might be true. You will also be in no position to talk about the "tendency of journalists" to support their theories using Apple, because you didn't code the data for "theoretical claims by journalist" which is harder, but possible with the same data set. But even there, you'll need to separate out "journalists" from "popular and professional accounts" , and then creating a sub-set that identifies those who put forward theoretical claims and mobilized the "success" of Apple under Jobs to explain it.

Good luck with the study. I look forward to the results.

Derek Miller

_________________
Dr. Derek B. Miller
Director

The Policy Lab
321 Columbus Ave.
Seventh Floor of the Electric Carriage House Boston, MA 02116 United States of America

Phone
+1 617 440 4409
Twitter
@Policylabtweets
Web
www.thepolicylab.org

This e-mail includes proprietary and confidential information belonging to The Policy Lab, Ltd. All rights reserved.